Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why Greece?


Why Greece?  I'm 50% Italian, 50% Assyrian (Northern Iraq), I have a mild obsession with Egypt, Morocco and South Africa, I follow the up-and-coming fashions of Australia and New Zealand on instagram, blogs, and Facebook, and yet, I have chosen to dedicate this blog to the country of Greece.

But, Why?

For two reasons mainly: One, because I have traveled there twice and have fallen completely and utterly in love with the islands, beaches, food, and culture.  I believe that I can offer some personal experiences that might give this blog some Oompa! and Two, because my first trip to the country is one that I hold dear to my heart.  This trip was an amazing adventure that I shared with a friend who passed away from cancer shortly after.  We were both just 20 at the time and ready to conquer the world.  We traveled first to Athens, then made our way around to Ios, Mykonos, and Santorini for a month of carefree follies.  


Since that first trip, I have gone back to explore other islands and have become good friends with a Greek-American who has taught me a lot about her culture and traditions.  I wish I could say that traveling to a country rich in history and art opened my eyes to the greater world around me, however, I was too busy having the time of my life to notice anything other than the beautiful scenery (and beautiful men)!  Thus, I hope to rediscover my love for Greece and perhaps open my eyes to the realities of a country that holds so many of my most valuable memories.

Let the Greekery begin!








No comments:

Post a Comment